Friday, June 1

Day Six: Say Yes

Since I decided to embark on this 4,000 mile journey I've tried to be open to things: new foods, new places, new people...

So today I said yes and ate a worm. Yup. And it tasted like dirt. It's become a team challenge, with everyone partaking one by one. Today just happened to be my turn.



Today I said yes and walked in the river, slipping and sliding (and almost falling) among the slime covered rocks. We hiked around the Taughannock Falls, which were beautiful and refreshing.


Today I said yes to exploring the Ithaca festival, helping to scrounge for food donations, and forcing myself to be outgoing and personable (not always natural for an introvert like me). The team was rewarded with a wonderful feast of a variety of food from various festival vendors.

The general idea behind saying yes is simple: You probably won't ever be here again, see these people again, or get this opportunity again, so just do it. I have to say that I feel this principle seeping into every area of my life. I've learned to take opportunities as they come, riding them until they fade and enjoying the moment as it passes. The 4K is no different, calling for intense moment-by-moment immersion.

I'm so happy to be here.

Though a great many things happened today, the most rewarding and fulfilling was volunteering at the Cancer Resource Center of the Finger Lakes. Cleaning, scrubbing, weeding, demolishing and moving were all on the agenda. The center is undergoing and ambitious renovation plan for their back yard space. It was helpful to have the manpower of Team Seattle behind them. We got a lot done in a short amount of time (as my step-mom says, "many hands make light work"). Most importantly, the staff at the center were so warm and encouraging, going so far as to make sure that we were well fed--which means EVERYTHING to a 4K rider. It felt great to give back to the community and connect with others on a meaningful level.


I will always hold my experiences here at Ithaca within me. Ithaca has been a wonderful city to us riders and I have truly enjoyed spending the past two days here. But it's time to move on. Tomorrow we continue to venture north to Geneva, NY. I'm excited to move on!


The days are beginning to fly by now. I can't believe that it has already been a week already. WOW! One week down, nine more to go...Let's plow forward, pedal by pedal.



Just Say Yes,

James
-------------------
I dedicate today's service to the Cancer to 5K teams, "a free 12-week training program designed to introduce and/or reintroduce cancer survivors to training for and completing a 5K road race." KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK, we're pedaling beside you!

No comments:

Post a Comment