Tuesday, June 19

Day Twenty-Two: Chilling in Chicago

It was wonderful waking up in a major city in a bed placed in a room that I had all to myself.--it has been awhile!

I started today in the Caribou Coffee shop located next to the dorms where I helped recruit voters for the 100carsforgood campaign. After about two hours I ventured off on foot back to
Downtown Chicago. My first goal was achieved:

Chicago deep dish--check!
The Chicago Classic individual deep dish from Lou Malnati's on State St., Chicago. It was delicious!
I headed to Lou Malnati's for a Classic Chicago deep dish; it was well worth the trip! The pizza was delicious, filled with delicious cheeses, perfect homemade tomato sauce and precisely cooked sausages. As a New Yorker, it felt awkward to eat pizza with a fork and knife (but the old rule prevails: when in Rome, do as the Romans do). 

It was a beautiful day so I continued heading north on Michigan Ave, hitting up the typical tourist locations, like the bean, officially known as Cloud Gate:

The famous bean from Chicago!

The cool illusions caused by the bean

The inside of the bean--the best part!

Located in Millennium Park, the public sculpture warps light to create stunning reflections of the surrounding city. There are also some other really cool sights and views from the Chicago Loop area:

Chicago skyline, daytime

Awesome, high shooting fountain in Chicago

Chicago skyline!

I also had the opportunity to stop into the Art Institute of Chicago's lobby and gift shop. I will certainly have to check out the exhibitions during a return trip to Chicago (yep, I will be going back, I have to go back--it's like trying to spend merely one weekend in Manhattan). It reminded me of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, although the lions outside instantly brought me back to the New York Public Library on 42nd St.

The day didn't end there. For dinner we decided to splurge a little and check out an Asian restaurant called Joy Yee Noodles which was located within a block from our dorm rooms. It was the perfect way to fulfill my desire for Korean food (Chapchae noodles anyone?). I tried a Red Bean bubble tea; it was delicious:

Red bean bubble tea from Joy Yee Noodles in Chicago

I would have loved to stayed in this city longer, but tomorrow we have to move on to Milwaukee, Wisconsin (aka time for a NEW state!). I enjoyed every minute spent in Chicago, and I can't wait to come back one day.

Movin' on Westward,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment