Saturday, July 14

Day Forty: A Rest Day in Rapid

To beat the 4th of July crowd, we decided to check out Mount Rushmore on our rest day on July 5th.
Here are my pictures from the team trip:

Flags from every state line the path to the main attraction.

In the nearby museum I discovered the original plan for Mount Rushmore. The lower portions of the sculpture were never carved due to the composition of the mountain side.


A closer view, from under the President's noses.

We were also productive today, organizing our food supplies, creating a thank you video for our donors, and taking the vans to get vacuumed. Overall, it was an enjoyable day off the bike, one for both preparation and exploration.

Tomorrow we head into the Black Hills, which has the majority of the team anxious. Driving through them today illustrated their steepness and length. I would be lying if I claimed that I wasn't nervous, but I am considerably more excited than nervous--excited for the challenge, excited for the scenery, excited to see how far I've come.

I guess I better get some sleep then.

Resting in Rapid,
James


No comments:

Post a Comment