Wednesday, July 18

Day Forty-Six: Yes! We've made it to Yellowstone!

I decided to take van duty going into Yellowstone (I wish the van's windshield hadn't been so dirty so my pictures from inside the van would be clearer). There were three reasons for this: 1. I was due for a van duty and decided that I wanted to be able to maintain control over what days I am in the van. 2. I yearned to ride over Big Horn, and got to do so, therefore I knew I would be getting in the van around Yellowstone. 3. Yellowstone was going to be a tough day for the van and I felt competent in my ability to manage the chaos.

Heading through tunnels on our way to the Yellowstone entrance.



The breathtaking lakeside route to Yellowstone
I was right, and I remain satisfied with my decision. As it turns out, we had to be shuttled into Yellowstone. It was cheaper (we only had to pay for two vans rather than two vans and 24 individual bikes) and safer (the roads are windy, lack shoulders, and are bustling with insane American tourists in RVs too big for their own good).

We weren't even in Yellowstone; the route improved in scenery as we approached...


Casey I headed out of Cody after the riders left the church. Stopping to attempt a food donation from the local Walmart (which was a huge waste of time, although we did get coffee out of it so maybe it wasn't so bad after all), the clock ticked away. We had to be efficient today; the plan was to rush into Yellowstone, drop off the bags, the food and the tents (and me) and then head back to the park entrance where the riders would meet the van and be shuttled in. Plus, this shuttling would have to occur twice. It was a lengthy drive from the park entrance to the camp ground so time was truly of the essence.
Snow peaks are present as we climb into Yellowstone National Park.

Forest fires take their toll on an area of the park.
Casey and I checked into the campground and unpacked the van. Before long it was time to go start the first round of shuttling and I--the "city boy" was left in Yellowstone, alone, without cell reception, with five campsites, nine tents, 30 duffle-bags, 30 backpacks, some bikes, two tarps, and boxes of food and supplies. What was my job? To set up the tents. The boy who never camped before now had to set up camp.

And just as Casey pulled away, the thunder and lightning started.

Like the cannon shot that preempts a race, I was jolted by the thunder into protecting all the luggage from the elements. Running around the campsite we deemed as HQ, I gathered all belongings, stacking them into a pyramid and covering them with our two tarps. Except, the tarps had no desire to remain on the pyramid, dancing in the wind and rendering themselves useless. Naturally, I got creative, staking the corners of the tarps into the ground and adding weight to the top using pots, pans, and a hammer.

And by the time it was complete, it had never rained more than a drizzle, the clouds had passed, and the sun was beginning to show. I decided to just leave the setup alone in the off chance that another rouge storm appeared.

I quickly organized the food, taking inventory of what we had for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days while brainstorming different meal ideas. 

Then I set off to set up the tents, rain-flies and all. Luckily I had previous experience setting up these tents thanks to our stay in Mitchell, SD (when I slept in the tent in the back yard). I did stop a few times and check how Casey had set up the first two. Mimicking his method of which lines of the rain-fly were staked and which weren't, I completed two tents by the time the first shuttle of riders had arrived. They all laughed as I came walking up from a nearby campsite, hammer in hand, dirt on my shorts, and sweat on my brow.

Camp was looking good and this city boy didn't look so city anymore.

Dinner the first night: a donated frozen pizza becomes a campfire calzone.

Check back to hear more about Yellowstone, as we'll be spending a rest day here tomorrow.

Taking Back Tent City,
James

---------------------------

 Today's efforts were dedicated to my brother, who I am reminded of all throughout Yellowstone. We definitely need to go camping together in the future. Hearing all these stories along the way about life, death and cancer survival have made me appreciate the time I get to spend with those I love; and have made me wonder why I haven't gone camping with my brother already!





No comments:

Post a Comment