Monday, May 28

A Tumultuous Day Two

My legs are throbbing right now. But Tiger Balm is a life saver.

Today turned out to be much tougher than I had expected. First off, the actual route turned out to be much longer than originally noted, a total of 71 miles. Now factor in the rolling hills of PA, and it feels much longer. Throw in a few wrong turns, a flat tire, and a high of 91 degrees, and you have a very tough ride ahead of you. In the end, my group went the distance--too far. We went over 13 miles in the wrong direction, leading to us getting picked up by the support van at about 6:30- so we wouldn't meed dinner and showers. We were, unfortunately, too far out and too tired to retrace our tracks.

It was a really rough day for everyone, but looking back it's clear to see that it was also a great day. With every sweaty-thigh busting up hill pedal came a beautifully refreshing downhill descent. It saw some beautiful country side, refreshed in a brook, and learned that I can push myself farther than I ever thought I could.

I'm proud of my team and how they supported one another today. The more time I spend with Team Seattle the more I realize how great and impressive they are--as individuals and as a whole.

I'm also learning a lot about the generosity and goodness of others. I've seen people give away showers, cook us great food, offer us their showers and their space. Cycling through PA today we came across a parade. While it was frustrating that the parade blocked our path, some wonderful firemen offered us ice-cold water, just what we needed to lift our spirits. We've been cheered on the streets and told to carry on. People stop us, congratulate us, encourage us, and share their own stories. I am not only seeing the country, I'm meeting its people.

I'm truly humbled by the path before me and the people riding beside me.

------------------------------------------------
Today was dedicated to my Pedal Pal, Beth, a cancer survivor.

On Wards & Westward,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment