Monday, May 28

One Day Down, 69 More to To!


Today was exhilarating, but I found myself oscillating between loving the ride and absolutely hating it. It is clear that I still have much adjusting to do.

This morning was an easy, but nerve wracking start. The anticipation of setting off was much worse than getting on the road. The wait to be released and start the journey after the ceremonial Back-Tire Dip into Baltimore Harbor Waters made me more fidgety and much more anxious. The Team, myself included, just wanted to ride away already.

After the eternity of lovely, inspiring speeches and mass of pictures passed, we were off north. The Alumni that rode with us today were amazing and immensely helpful. I was quickly educated on gear shifts in relation to elevation changes (a cyclist MUST know).

The first 10 miles out of Baltimore and into Northern Maryland were easy, and rolled us down some sweet descents. Descents, for me anyway, make all the uphill battles worthwhile. The next ten were easier. Starting around mile 20 we rode the Northern Central Railroad Trail onwards, all the way up to York, PA (a total of 61 miles). Miles 25-35 were tiring, but it was miles 35-40 that were a pain. Mile 40 was the lunch stop, and I wanted nothing more than to make it there, but the “false flat” of the trail (the Maryland-PA part of the trail has a low-grade incline that deceives the eye) really tested my limits. Nonetheless, I made it, we all made it. After that stretch, lying on grass felt like heaven.

The 21 miles after lunch were also on the trail, but this time the “false flat” was reserved, having a slight decline. This made the ride to York all the more pleasant and easy.
Tonight we were gratefully welcomed at the local YMCA and members of the York community who hosted dinner for us. A big shout out and thank you to them, particularly Craig Wolf, who has proven to be a true host!

Winding down is easy after 61 miles on a bike. Tomorrow we will be biking 59 miles through central PA, stopping in Lykens for the night.

My 4K journey is off to a good start. It was a safe, trail-blazed day, filled with nice weather and good company. What more could you ask for?

------
Today’s ride was dedicated to my father, a cancer survivor, and my great-grandfather, Ciro Apicella.

Sweet Dreams and Safe Journeys,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment