Sunday, June 3

Day Eight, Ain't it Great...

Ain't it great cycling in the rain? No. I finally found the one thing I hate more than hills--rain. My shoes each contained an ocean, a cold, uncomfortable mess. On top of that, drafting to reduce the wind drag caused splatter from the back wheel of the rider in front of me to cover my face and sunglasses. It was my first time riding in the rain and it wasn't pleasant. About halfway to the host I decided that I would trade the rain for some sun and hills any day. Go figure!

But rejoice, because today was only a 43 mile ride--the shortest yet. This weather could have easily occurred on a century day. And even though I got a flat I was able to fix it quickly (thanks to Meg the mechanic) and get back on my way. It was also a great day because my group was able to secure and Arby's donation; we got to choose our meals and everything!

Once at the host we were able to work on our bikes and shower. I'm glad I learned some bike maintenance basics it will definitely come in handy over the next 3,500 miles. Best of all, the Unitarian Church hosting us tonight was warm and welcoming, featuring a deliciously bountiful community dinner. It was the perfect end to a stormy day.

Tomorrow we get to head to Buffalo, where we will take a rest day and visit Niagra Falls. The team is really excited, it should be a nice few days. We're almost at the most northern part of the route!

Stay Dry,
James

---------
Today was dedicated to my grandfather, Charles Overton, a skin cancer survivor. Wear your sunblock!

No comments:

Post a Comment