Tuesday, June 5

Day Nine: Nice, Cold Rain

Day eight's trip in the rain made me vow to wrap my feet in plastic before the next rainy day. I should have listened to myself. Today started in the pouring rain in a chilly 52 degree Rochester, NY. I quickly learned to be thankful for my cycling rain gear, which kept my core warm and dry. My feet, however, were sunk in shoes filled with water.

And slowly things got worse. We got a flat, and then another one, and another one, and a fourth one. And that was just my group. Overall, the whole team had over 20 flats. The vans were shuttling riders tools and tubes all along the route, slowing us down more than we had anticipated the rain would. We were cold, and all our feet were soaked.

But sometime along the way something peculiar happened: I had a flashback to a snowy winter day. I was at my grandmother's house on Staten Island. I didn't have my snow boots but needed to go out in the snow. Her solution was simple--plastic bags. Growing up in a poor large family they didn't have the money to spend on snow shoes, so to insulate their feet and keep them dry they would wrap their feet and socks in plastic bags before putting on their sneakers. Their sneakers would get wet, but their toes would remain warm and dry. Thus, the next time my group stopped at a gas station, I went inside, peeled off my wet shoes and socks, and wrapped me feet in plastic pastry bags. Buying tape from the store to wrap around my ankles, I sealed off my feet from the tumultuous weather outside. So it wasn't exactly correct--my socks weren't wrapped inside plastic with my feet since they were already wet (instead I put them over the plastic bags), but it made a huge difference. Soon my most uncomfortable ride ever became much more bearable.

The day grew better as time passed. Before we realized it we had arrived at our host, the Harvest House, which is such a great place to be staying for the two days! After showering (what a glorious feeling) and eating (I can't decided whether showering or eating is a better feeling these days) we set off to check out Niagara Falls. The city was bright and touristy, but the falls were beautiful. It was such a thrill to be able to see them lit up at night. By the end of our excursion we were exhausted, and settled in for a sleep lengthier than what we're accustomed to. The best feeling of the day, by far, was crawling into a sofa to sleep. I forgot how much better a couch is than a floor!

Niagara Falls at Night--from the US side.


Despite all the challenges and temporary struggles, this trip is well worth the effort. I've never felt so healthy and productive.

Good Night from Buffalo,

James

No comments:

Post a Comment