Saturday, June 30

Day Thirty-Three: Swinging into Sioux Falls, South Dakota


Today was Megan's twenty-first birthday, and I had the privilege of being drafted for her birthday group. Now, Megan likes to go fast, and it was her birthday so we my group couldn't disappoint...

So we made it to Sioux Falls well before the heat--despite making today a surprise century by adding on an extra 8 miles due to a wrong turn. WHOOPS. My legs were sore, very sore, but I was alive, accomplished, and had one of the best days on this trip thus far.


Check out views from the route:
Another early start to try to beat the heat.
A local told us that there are about 700-800 windmills in this area.
Sweet, rolling hills...
By this point we were hungry and wanting lunch, but we still had a little ways to go.

After having a delicious dinner and performing a presentation for our hosts, some of us set off to the Palisades State Park. The park was gorgeous. After swimming in the river, I attempted to rock climb. The first attempt went well, as the first rock face was less complex than the other. The other rock face I attempted to climb didn't go so smoothly. I got past the hardest part, which was the very beginning. But about halfway up I realized that I would not be able to get down safely (it actually was possible I just didn't think I could do it). So I started to panic. Mid panic I turned around, sat down on the ledge I was on, and proceeded to cling to the rock and catch my breath. I waited. Eventually Megan came around the corner and was able to help coax me down, like a cat stuck in a tree, going as far as to hold my right foot in mid air while I scaled down the rock face using my left foot.

Views from Palisades:











So I'm not exactly a rock climber. I guess I'll have to work on that.

Climbing to New Heights--Sort Of,
James

--------------------------------
Today was dedicated to the residents of the Minneapolis Hope Lodge, who I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and entertaining. Stay strong, stay hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment