Friday, June 22

Day Twenty-Four: Why, Oh Why, is Wisconsin NOT Flat?

Someone once told me that the mid-west was flat. I thought I could consider Wisconsin the mid-west. Except Wisconsin isn't flat.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating. Wisconsin has rolling hills (nothing as daunting as the Appalachians), and I guess some would consider that "flat." But today hit 100 degrees, aka IT WAS HOT. Plus, the route was out on the road, treeless and naked in the sun, aka NO SHADE. Throw in the relentless winds (at 20 mph) and those rolling hills become a bigger deal than they should be. No one could blame the team when they were heat exhausted, sun burnt, and tired.


Not that any of the elements stopped the team. Sure, it was challenging (personally my second hardest day ever), but we made it. We always do.

Even though it was hot, the scenery was still beautifully green, coated in a blue sky and sprinkled with clouds:

Riding through Wisconsin on the way to Madison

And then we rode into this:

The view from the bike path into Madison, WI--one of the best places to bike in the states!

The beauty of Madison's lake front (no filter)!

The Capitol of Wisconsin from the ride into Madison

The miraculous Madison, Wisconsin, a beautiful state Capitol and charming city that is bike-friendly, college-friendly, and 4K-friendly. I love it here. I cannot wait for our day off around town tomorrow to check out what this city nestled between two lakes has to offer!

Cycle Through,
James

------
Today, my second hardest day on the 4K to date, is dedicated to my brother, Robert, who I pray comes to realize (as I have) that we are truly capable of anything and everything. Stop at nothing--every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment