Thursday, July 19

Day Fifty-One: Wisdom Didn't Make Me Any Wiser...

Wisdom, MT didn't make me any wiser, but Hamilton, MT is homey.

How do I know Wisdom didn't make me wiser? Well, I started off this morning by chalking the route east, in the opposite direction. Whoops.







Fortunately the groups recovered quickly, noticed the mistake, and everyone got back on route, and I got back to van duty with Caiti. It was a difficult day for water van--take it from me, miles upon miles between the first group and the last group make things difficult. In the end, we had a water cooler that was left on the side of the road for the front team, while Caiti went back 20 miles to pick me up from the previous water stop (from which the back group was just leaving), stolen. Along with some snacks. Frustrated, with a water cooler down, some snacks gone, and patience short, Caiti and I finished the day successfully. Ending with a donated meal from the Hamilton, MT McDonald's didn't hurt either.







It only got better from there. Grace Lutheran Church, our host for the evening, was warm and welcoming, greeting us at their doorstep. They began preparing for dinner while we showered. Dinner was delicious! It was one of the largest dinners we have had yet, with quite a turnout from the community.
Grace Lutheran Church


After we slowed down our eating (which took awhile, 27 hungry cyclists eat at a rapid pace for quite sometime) we decided it was the perfect time to go around, introduce ourselves, and talk about why we're riding the 4K. If I had only known what we were getting ourselves into--the floodgates were opened and soon stories upon stories were pouring forth from ourselves and our hosts, who all had been touched by cancer in someway. And I say "touched" lightly, because many are continually facing cancer throughout the facets of their lives.

The dinner in Hamilton was the heaviest dinner yet, in more ways than one. I have motivation to take me to Seattle and beyond.

This was only round one. Thank you members of Grace Lutheran Church!


Stay Hungry,
James

----------------------
Today's efforts were dedicated to Jack Moran, who I pray makes a speedy and full recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment