Sunday, July 22

Day Fifty-Two: Makin' Dreams at Camp Mak-A-Dream

The ride to Missoula today was lovely, we ended up on a bike trail that ran parallel to the highway. However, the four flats my group experienced--one of them being my own---were not as pleasant. I feel as though our frequency of flats has increased lately, perhaps due to tire wear-and-tear. Can you really go over 3,000 miles on the same two average (or less than average, depending on your ideal level of quality) tires? No.

Luckily the ride was a shorter one, and we soon arrived safely (though on low tires) at our host for the evening. But the day didn't end there. Today we had a really great opportunity, one to warm the heart and feed the soul: a visit to Camp Mak-A-Dream. Camp Mak-A-Dream an oncology camp that hosts a variety of different camps and retreats for those of all ages who have been/are affected by cancer. This week was kids week, so Team Seattle got to spend the rest of the day off the bike and hanging out with children who had one goal only: to have fun!

And fun we had:

  • I climbed a rock wall, 30 ft up, for the first time. I was shaking like a leaf by the time I reached the top. The kids looked like Spider man in comparison to my shaky-limb dangle.
  • I hiked to the top of Butte Mountain--the steepest hike of my life. It was sunny, hot, and a challenge; but it was well worth the view and sense of accomplishment.
  • I assisted in a tent set-up competition by helping to instruct a group of boys as they frantically raced to finish first. We didn't win (though we know that's only because the other teams cheated, obviously).
  • I learned the game aska, which is basically Ninja with your feet. Get stomped on your foot and you're out.
  • I attempted to fly fish, which was the weirdest sensation. My arm just doesn't make for a good metronome (those of you who are the least bit familiar with fly fishing will understand this, everyone else can ignore this bullet point, it's really not that important. I don't think I'll ever be an angler).
  • I got to frantically disassemble the tent I helped set up as it began to storm, and run inside after all the campers.
  • I sung songs with the campers around a fireplace while simultaneously trying to stuff my face with s'mores. Note: gooey s'mores plus singing doesn't mix, especially if you can't sing to begin with.
  • Best of all, I got to meet and talk with all these really cool kids.
Successful day? Yes.








Tomorrow's another rest day. I plan on checking out Missoula and seeing what this new place has to offer.

'Til Tomorrow,
James

---------------
Today was dedicated to the camp counselors at Camp Mak-A-Dream, a bunch of ambitious, adventurous cancer survivors.

No comments:

Post a Comment