Friday, July 6

Day Thirty-Five: Two Halves Make a Whole

We've made it this far, we've come halfway. What a strange feeling.

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about reaching the halfway point. It's a strange place to be. Part of me doesn't want to reach the halfway point because that means the journey is closer to its end. I'm having fun, seeing new places, meeting great people, and creating fantastic memories to last a lifetime. Why would I want that to end?

But there's another life to return to. Here on the trip we call it the "Real World" and reference it with a removed sense of yearning nostalgia and longing dread. Our feelings, needless to say, are mixed. I miss the people I've been separated from; I miss home's comforts and familiar spaces. I'm eager to return with new experiences, stories to share, and a refreshed outlook on the world. Thus, part of me is glad that we're already halfway through.

I don't know where to stand. Actually, if there's another thing this trip has taught me it's that I know exactly where to stand--right where I am. I want to go home and I want to stay here. I wish I could fuse the 4K into the Real World and seep in the moment forever.

But I can't, and I accept that. So I'm just going to forget the day's number and the miles to go. I'm just going to enjoy the travel while it lasts and make the most of every opportunity along the way. I'm going to miss the people I love and I'll sometimes wish for home's comforts--all the way to Seattle. Each day is an adventure, so I'll take it one adventure at a time.

My halves will just have to compromise: enjoy the moment now, rejoice in home later and never forget where you stand.

The Moment is Now,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment