Saturday, May 26

First Stop, Baltimore!

This morning I awoke to the pang of my cell's alarm clock, groggily stirring at the early hour of 8:30 am. Well, it's the earliest that I've gotten up since I've been home, but pales in comparison to the crack-of-dawn rising that the 4K requires. 

Luckily I was finished packing, having sorted through the last bit of items the night before, desperately attempting to walk the line between Oh-Darn-I-Took-Too-Much-It's-Breaking-My-Back and I'm-Riding-4,156 miles-Practically-Naked. 

The trek to Baltimore was smooth, once we got off the island. My mom and I got a later start than I wanted, making a pit-stop to grab some last needed items from the store and a breakfast to appease my hunger. By 10:30 am we were over the Outerbridge and on our way.

I have to say that I love driving outside of the congested NYC area. The open road and a great playlist on shuffle created the perfect go-getter atmosphere. This, in turn, pumped me up even more for this 4K weekend. Before I had realized, the city of Baltimore grew along the horizon and Key Highway beckoned us.

After a quick swing into Race Pace, which had exceptional service yet again, and a few wrong turns trying to park, we were checking into Springhill Suites by the Marriott. The hotel has a nice charm to it: old U.S. Mail chutes line the halls, seeping a timeless essence throughout the building's infrastructure.

The view from the harbor.
Once settled in, we took a walk down to the harbor. I must admit-- the harbor surprised me. It was up-beat and reminded me of the NYC Seaport, a sufficient answer to my typical "What in the world does Baltimore have to offer?" complaint. What surprised me the most was the Baltimore World Trade Center Memorial. I didn't expect such an extensive memorial outside of D.C. and NYC. The memorial is built so that on every September 11th, the shadow of the structures align to highlight events of that fateful day in chronological order:



Steel from the 9-11 wreckage.


Stones from the Pentagon wreckage.

Pillars for the strength and bravery of Flight 93

 After surveying the harbor, we walked back to the hotel and prepared for the 4K Kick-off Dinner. Leaving early enough to account for getting lost--which we did do successfully--we arrived precisely on time to the University of Maryland Baltimore County University Center Ballroom. At first I was surprised at the sheer number of people present. I forcefully faced the fact that I was now apart of something much larger than myself. But I still did not comprehend what I was about to embark on.

The speakers of the night, like Brian Satola, COO of the Ulman Cancer Fund, reminded us to put the challenges that we are going to face "in perspective," warned us of the sorrows and joys of the road ahead, and focused on the passion and energy that sustains The 4K for Cancer program and its riders.

With each passing minute I grew increasingly more nervous, and simultaneously more excited. I questioned, "What have I gotten myself into?" Doubts (an inevitable weakness) flooded my mind. I was left pondering the journey ahead and the impact it will have on my life.

I failed to realize that such impacts, benevolent and graceful, were already at work. Much to my surprise, Dana Rampulla, fellow Staten Island Technical High School Alumnus and the accidental facilitator of my 4K for Cancer experience, was in attendance and introduced herself to me without a moment's hesitation. Distilling all fears and doubts (and helping to calm my mother's nerves, which were at a peak by this point), we recognized another great coincidence: there is another Staten Island Tech Alumnus participating in the 4K. Marilyn Stasinopoulos (check out her 4K Blog here), who I had heard of but never officially met, is riding with Team San Francisco this summer. After conversing over the new "Team Tech," I left the dinner more assured of my future within the 4K for Cancer community.

Despite the fact that the clock runs late here while tomorrow's 6:30 am alarm hangs ominously over my head, I can't help but fidget. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm a ball of energy, anxiety, joy, and apprehension. I'm a tired insomniac, occupied by thoughts of the future, aimless to-dos, and potentials for growth. I just want to go already. That now-or-never feeling is beginning to tickle my spine and ignite my imagination. I just have to get through tomorrow's training.

What a summer this is going to be!

Waiting Anxiously,

James

P.S. Don't forget to subscribe to my blog so all the updates can land in your inbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment